While planning the little details of your wedding day can be stressful, preparing for your makeup trial shouldn’t be one of them. The Beauty with Julie girls are offering our tips on how to get the most out of your wedding makeup!
Preparing for your Makeup Trial:
- Buy your dress! Your dress will affect the way your makeup looks, so it’s better to have a clear vision of what you’ll want to look like on your big day.
- Schedule your makeup trial in advance! We suggest making your appointment at least 2 months prior to your wedding date, allowing you to purchase products you may need for touch ups and schedule another appointment if necessary.
- Have an idea of what kind of look you want (including inspirational pictures) Knowing the type of look you would like for your wedding day, as well as anything you would like to avoid will help ensure your trial goes as smooth as possible. Your inspirational photos and ideas tell us where your comfort level is regarding coverage, darkness, and brightness. We suggest creating a Pinterest board dedicated to bridal makeup and hair.
- Bare Face! Show up to your bridal trial makeup free so we know what your concerns are.
- Pamper your skin! Start a good skincare regimen, which might include monthly peels or facials. If you have concerns–acne, bacne, rosacea, etc–consult with your esthetician to figure out the best treatment plan. Beautiful makeup begins with beautiful skin!
- Wear White or Ivory! This will give you a good indicator of what your makeup will look like against the color of your dress. .
- Take lots of pictures! Snap pictures in different elements of lighting with different cameras to make sure your foundation matches and your look is exactly what you want.
- Keep in contact with your makeup artist! Let us know how your makeup wore and ask any questions or concerns you may have.
Preparing for your Wedding Day:
Here’s a handy wedding-beauty timeline that’ll help you plan out which beautifying actions to take when.
- Buy any products you need! It’s a good idea to buy the lip color or powder your makeup artist uses for touch ups.
- Proper skin care! Your makeup will go on much smoother with healthy, smooth skin. Remember to properly cleanse, exfoliate, tone, and moisturize the morning of your wedding. This includes your lips too!
- Brows Get your brows professionally shaped–you can do this as close as two days before, but avoid doing it the night before because there’s always potential for redness.
- Spray Tan Plan Execute your pre-tested spray-tan plan. Don’t spray tan the morning of because most involve bronzer that can rub off on your dress.
- Get your mani-pedi; you’re not going to be patient enough to sit and let polish properly dry on your wedding morning!
- One Week Before Do a deep-conditioning treatment for softer, shinier hair, or do a salon gloss.
- One Week Before Get a professional teeth whitening kit. This shouldn’t be done any closer in case you experience sensitivity. We highly recommend Whitening Lightening Dial A Smile Teeth Whitening Kit
Happy Wedding Planning! Xo
With fall comes pumpkin spice lattes, leggings with over-sized sweaters, and most importantly fall makeup! The Beauty with Julie girls have come up with 5 fabulous fall trends to get you started on your transition into fall makeup! Xo
- 90’s Lips: try picking shades of lipstick that are a darker nude and pairing it with a lipliner to fill in the whole lip for long lasting color!
- Bronze eyes: select a medium metallic bronze shade to blend from lashes to crease for an all around sexy smoke.
Pro Tip–We highly suggest “Woodwinked” eyeshadow from MAC
- Feathered brows: fill in brows lightly, focusing on arches, then brush hairs up with a brow gel to achieve an undone look
- Flushed Cheeks: put that contour brush down and grab a blush brush because rosy cheeks are in! Choose a shade of light pink blush and apply from apples of cheeks to hairline.
- Graphic Liner: be bold with your liner and try different styles and colors! Try going thicker with your cat-eye or doing a double wing!
No, no, this is not a rave this is makeup! The latest makeup trend strobing is layering different textured highlighters for a highlight that will be seen from space!
Where to strob: You can apply your highlighters at the high points of the face to bring them forward. These areas include: inner corner of eyes, browbone, top of the cheekbone, cupids bow, top of the chin, straight down the nose, tip of the nose, and above the brow. Oily skins can still strob, but may want to keep the highlights away from the T-zone to avoid looking too shiny.
How to strob: Using your fingers, a beauty blender, or a brush, build up the highlight by using creams or liquids on the high points of the face before you’ve set your makeup with powder. Layer it up with a powder highlighter on top to set the cream or liquid highlighter and make it really pop!
What to strob with:
Mini Beauty Blender– When used damp, this applies and blends liquids and powders beautifully. Since it’s so cute and small you can get a precise highlight.
Laura Mercier Mineral Illuminating Powder in Starlight: ideal for fairer skin tones, layer this over a liquid highlighter to give a soft- focus glow.
Benefit Watt’s Up Highlighter– This cream-to-powder highlight gives skin a luminous champagne glow that lasts!
NYX Born to Glow Liquid Illuminator– Available in shades peach or bronze. Perfect for a fresh, lit from within glow!
Happy Strobbing Beauties! Xo
Originating in Asia, Beauty Balms, commonly known as BB creams, have made their way to the western hemisphere over the last couple of years. Today, just about every makeup brand carries a BB cream!
BB creams/balms are meant to give skin benefits while providing coverage. A few of its many benefits include SPF, hydration, and blurred imperfections. BB creams are also great to use as a primer under your foundation, providing convenience, moisture, color, and reliable sun protection. They blend easily and provide sheer to medium coverage.
The Beauty with Julie girls have put together three BB creams we know and love! Xo
Jane Iredale Glow Time Full Coverage Mineral BB Cream: Covers blemishes, minimizes pores, disguises wrinkles and smoothes and brightens skin.
Maybelline Dream Fresh BB Cream: The 1-step wonder for a good skin day, everyday. Packed with 8 great skin benefits for instant skin perfection. Ideal for Normal Skin.
MAC Prep+Prime BB Beauty Balm Compact SPF 30: A beauty balm that blurs imperfections and evens skin tone immediately.
Many of our brides express to us: “We don’t know what to do with our eyebrows!!” or “we have had a bad experience in the past with filling them in.” The Beauty with Julie girls are here to save your brows! We’re giving you some expert tips uncensored on filling them in along with a couple examples of products we know and love!
Prep: Have a case of the brow blues? Start by scheduling an appointment with your favorite brow girl and work on getting your brows shaped! Having a clear brow shape makes filling them in so much easier. We recommend going to a salon to get them threaded or waxed for first-timers, and then plucking stray hairs or trimming any long hairs with small scissors to maintain their shape. Not sure how your brows should look? Lets begin by taking an angled makeup brush or a pencil and line it up with one end at the base of your nostril and the other skimming alongside your eye which is where your brow should end). Keeping the pencil at your nostril, line it up so that the end is cutting right through your pupil which is where your arch should be. Lastly, keeping the pencil at your nostril, line it straight up (this is where your brow should start). Keep in no one’s eyebrows are perfectly symmetrical. Sisters, not twins!
• Brow Spooley– A clean traditional mascara wand that helps to brush the hairs into place and blend products. Most of the time these can be found on the end of a mechanical brow pencil.
• Angled Eyeshadow Brush: This is perfect for any brow product you choose to fill in your brows with because it is small and precise.
• Brow product to fill in brows: There are many products out there for this. With so many gels, pencils, or creams to choose from, it can get a little over whelming. For a brow beginner, powders are a little more forgiving. Make sure you find a color that matches your eyebrow color as closely as possible.
• Brow Setting Gel: A lightweight gel that may or may not be tinted to help hold your beautiful brows in place!
Here are Beauty with Julie’s favorite picks for beautiful brows:
Makeup Forever Aqua Brow
Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz Brush brows through with spooley
Step 1: Brush brows through with spooley
Step 2: Dip angled brush in product and outline the bottom of your brow lightly to define shape
Step 3: Fill in sparse areas of brow starting at the end of the end, working towards the middle, then front. The most product should be at the end of the brow with the least being at the front of the brow. Take more time to fill in trouble areas of the brow starting with little product then adding more if needed. Less is more!
Step 4: Brush through brows with spooley to blend any harshness and lines and brush on setting gel.
Claims: “A 15-hour, flawless foundation that stays looking fresh and natural through heat, humidity, and nonstop activity.”
Coverage: Medium to Full
Pros: When they say 15-hour, they mean 15 hour! Super long lasting, lightweight, oil-free, oil-control, buildable. This comes in a variety of cool, neutral, and warm shades so no worries on finding your match. Double wear is a very pigmented foundation, therefore it does not give off the “no-makeup”makeup look. A transfer resistant foundation, this stuff is bulletproof and stays put on under your bronzer/blush/highlighter.
Cons: Although it claims it is fragrance-free, we smell a pleasant perfume scent, so sensitive skinned girls beware. Its SPF 10 may unfortunately flashback in photos. In addition, this foundation can get patchy on drier skin types so be sure to exfoliate, moisturize, and prime accordingly. No pump + glass bottle= not travel friendly.
Details: Dries quickly so you’ll need to work fast. Will get cakey if you apply too much. Most of you will only need one layer so start due to its buildable coverage. It can be difficult to remove so try an oil-based makeup remover. Double Wear can be found at any Sephora or Estee Lauder counter.
Overall: We recommend Double Wear Foundation for combination/oily skin types because the oil-control is great! Great in humidity and sweat. Although it is a bit pricey, this will last you forever because you don’t need to use as much product with higher pigmented foundations. A must have for summer!
Large pores are a consistent skin concern for individuals of all ethnicity’s and skin types. Oily skin types and mature skin with large follicles are more prone to enlarged pores which in turn can create clogging and a build up of cells. We’re constantly hearing our brides say “My pores are huge!” So, you ask, what is the solution?! We know you will want your skin to look extra perfect for your wedding day so luckily, the Beauty with Julie girls have put together 4 pore refining primers to help minimize the look of pores.
- Dr. Brandt’s pores no more-pore refiner primer: An effective primer that instantly mattifies shine and minimizes pores. A cult favorite, this is Dr. Brandt’s quick fix for flawless, photo-ready skin at any age and during any season. A combination of treatment and cosmetic properties, this miracle base creates the perfect canvas for your makeup application. This velvety primer absorbs excess oil, blurs fine lines and imperfections, and is resistant to sweat and humidity.
- Benefit’s The POREfessional: This very popular primer helps makeup stay put as well as minimizing pores. Perfect for for those “no-makeup” days because it can even be worn on its own! Its translucent/nude color easily blends onto the skin.
- Maybelline’s Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser: This is a drugstore steal! At only $6.99 it helps foundation smooth right over pores, not in them. It has a silicone consistency so it’s silky to the touch. This primer is clear and can be worn on its own or under makeup
- Tarte’s Clean Slate Poreless 12-hr Perfecting Primer: This waterproof, pore-perfecting primer consists of avocado oil which helps refine skin. Apply before underneath makeup for flawless bridal perfection.
Here’s our top 3 products that the Beauty with Julie girls have in their makeup kits!
A concealer wheel/palette: We are always reaching for these from our kits because they’re so versatile. We use this to cover any late-night circles or acne scars. They have a variety of shades that can be combined so every skin tone is covered! The TEMPTU Concealer Wheel produces high coverage, but can also be sheered out!
Black Gel Eyeliner:
We exclusively use waterproof eyeliner–we know there will be many tearful moments on your special day! We prefer a gel consistency because it is the easiest to work with and very black. We will use this to define the eye and make the lash line appear fuller. The NYX Gel Liner & Smudger is super creamy and lasts all through the night!
Highlighter: The Beauty with Julie gals love a good highlight on the top of the cheekbones! Our brides yearn for a blushing bridal glow, which a highlighter can give you that glow that will look great in photos. Becca Cosmetics Moonstone Shimmering Skin Perfector is a creamy powder luminizer that absorbs and reflects light for a superb natural glow! *Tip and Trick: For fuller-looking lips, follow lip gloss or lipstick with a dab of Shimmering Skin Perfector to the center of your lower lip.
Worried you’ll ruin your makeup from all the teary-eyed moments on your wedding day? The Beauty with Julie girls have put together some products for staying smudge-proof on your special day!
Makeup Forever has its own Aqua line which features an array of waterproof products:
- Aqua Cream Waterproof Cream Eyeshadow– With an eyeshadow primer underneath, use this for your base with another eyeshadow on top and your eye makeup is completely cry-proof!
- Aqua Creamliner Waterproof Cream Eyeliner– We prefer cream or gel liners because they’re easier to work with. Available in many different shades so maybe you’ll dare to wear turquoise eyeliner knowing it wont move!
- Aqua Lip Waterproof Lip Liner Pencil– Perfect your pout by lining the lips and filling them in. Kiss your hubby all night assured your lip color will stay put!
- Aqua Smokey Extravagant Waterproof Mascara– This is a must have! Lashes stay full yet defined and won’t run down your face when you say your I’Dos!
Lancôme Effacernes Waterproof Protective Undereye Concealer– Yes, we know it is appropriate to wear waterproof eye makeup for our special day, but what do we use for the under eye area? This creamy, color correcting concealer will banish those dark circles and stay crease free all night long!
Revlon Colorstay Foundation– Although it is not advertised as a waterproof foundation, we’ve worn this in a pool and it didn’t budge! Just be sure to apply it in thin layers since it is a thicker, more pigmented formula. There are an array of shades for every skin tone and it even caters to normal/dry and combo/oily skins types.
Hope this helps you gorgeous ladies stay streak free on your wedding day! Xo
Now that the sun has decided to make an appearance, we need to be protected from it’s harmful effects! Choosing not to wear an SPF in the sun can cause wrinkles, brown spots, and worst of all-skin cancer.
Luckily, we’ve got you covered! We’ve picked out our favorite sunscreens for the face and neck that can be found at your nearest Ulta Beauty Store.
First up is the Clarins UV Plus HP Day Screen High Protection SPF 40. This provides protection against UVA/UVB Rays, Pollution & Free Radicals. It also contains Cantaloupe Melon Extract that neutralizes free radicals on the skin.
Second…You will surely be protected with Neutrogena’s Age Shield Face Sunblock Lotion SPF 110 with Helioplex. This lightweight lotion absorbs quickly without a greasy feel on the skin. Travel size optional!
Third…Swim, play, and enjoy the outdoors—knowing your sunscreen loves water as much as you do with Shiseido Wetforce Ultimate Sun Protection Cream Broad Spectrum SPF 50+ For Face. This sunscreen provides powerful protection for your skin, with its innovative protective veil that actually becomes even more effective on the applied area when exposed to water for 15 minutes because of its WetForce technology. This unique formula especially for the face includes beneficial ingredients to help prevent skin dryness. Ideal for outdoor activities and sports, it provides high sun protection, yet is comfortable and gentle on the skin.
AND last but not least we recommend Aveeno’s Protect + Hydrate Lotion Sunscreen SPF 70. We love Aveeno skincare so this is a give in. It’s active ingredient of natural oat helps with skin dehydration. Sweat-proof, water- resistant, and oil-free!
As with all sunscreens, these must be reapplied every 2 hours! Keep those beautiful faces youthful this summer! Xo